Saturday, September 29, 2007

Curry Chicken

One of my very favorite things about the fall is how good soups, stews, and slow cooker recipes start sounding. I love to cook. I am not gourmet or anything (my philosophy is the less the ingredients, less the time, less the calories, the better the recipe), but I do like trying new recipes and tweaking them until they are just right for my family. Anyway, one of my favorite slow cooker recipes is Curry Chicken. It's easy, tastes great, is generally nutritious, and makes your house smell wonderful all day long.

Slow Cooker Chicken Curry

*2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I have used regular chicken thighs and removed the skins myself before, it worked out fine. The meat just fell off the bones.)
*16 oz jar of thick and chunky salsa
*1 medium onion, chopped
*2 tbsp curry powder
*1 cup fat free sour cream

-Put chicken, salsa, and onion in crock pot. Stir.
-Put the curry in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds (heat releases the oils in the curry). Then stir curry in with chicken, salsa, and onion.
-Cook on low for 8-10 hours (or on high for 5 hours).
-Remove chicken to serving dish; cover to keep warm. Add sour cream to crock pot, stir until well blended. Serve over chicken.

**I like to serve this dish over rice. I put a little rice in a bowl, add the chicken, then cover with the sour cream sauce.

ps...this dish is surprisingly family friendly. Liv loves it! I just put a little more rice and less sauce in her bowl.

4 comments:

Scott said...

Excellent. Thanks for the recipe Jaimes.

maaydaay said...

I've had it! It's good :) Miss you!

AlvisRN said...

I plan to try this recipe over the weekend. Thanks for posting it! I will let you know how it turns out. Sounds wonderful.

Jim and Katie said...

Holy Cow! I love the internet and the fact that I can keep up with friends and friends of friends...ha! I was just thinking about this recipe earlier this week. Scarlette had told me about it and I kept meaning to have her get it for me!
YAY!
Sounds yummy!
I hope things are going great!
PS - Little Miss Doolittle is adorable!